Videogames have become an important medium of expression at this point in history, and given our current socioeconomic climate, it’s more important than ever that the games we make help people of historically marginalized and underrepresented groups feel seen and included. Having worked in game development since 2006, in both industry and academia, I have long observed many colleagues wanting to do right by marginalized people, but not always knowing how, especially when it comes to unfamiliar lived experiences.
As a diversity consultant, I aim to share the knowledge I’ve picked up over the years in a nonjudgemental way that assumes good faith and creates a space for learning and growth. While games are my primary area of expertise, I am also open to working on other kinds of artistic and/or interactive projects where my skills would be useful.
Services I offer include the following:
- Reading text for language, phrasing, and assumptions that may be unintentionally harmful to marginalized and underrepresented groups of people, and suggesting alternatives
- Sensitivity reading for characters who share my own marginalized identities, e.g. queer, transmasculine, nonbinary, autistic, PoC (specifically Iranian and Filipino)
- Workshopping game design concepts that effectively support and enhance the beliefs and worldviews you actually want to express to the world
- Playtesting game builds and prototypes at any stage of development and making design suggestions for inclusivity
- Explaining confusing language and terminology around social justice concepts – language is constantly evolving and it can be hard to stay up to date
- Help with writing a code of conduct/inclusivity statement/anti-harassment policy for your organization
- Speaking to your organization or group on diversity-related topics
If you’re interested in working with me, please send me an email!